Taking Charge® Workbook for Parents and Caregivers
by Nancy J. Lavelle, Ph.D., and Albert G. Hernandez, Ed.D. with Laura House, L.M.F.T.
A five-hour self-study workbook or used in individual or group coaching with an experienced Linguistic Coach. Optional follow-up coaching after completion of the workbook.
Topics included in the Parents and Caregivers Workbook:
- Observing my own assumptions about myself and my child.
- Observing how my own and my child’s self-narratives (the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves and others) can close or open possibilities for learning.
- Working in partnership with my child to build a learning ecology of mutual learning, mutual, trust, and mutual respect.
- Understanding and using structured choice to support my child to demonstrate personal responsibility for his or her own learning process.
- Identifying my own and assisting my child to identify his or her life concerns.
- Recognizing the level of learning competence that my child is demonstrating in my child’s self-identified domains of life concerns and empowering my child to move to his or her next level of learning competence.
- Assisting my child to identify his or her own personal learning preferences and styles.
- Working in partnership with my child to engage in dialogue possibilities that turn his or her learning breakdowns into learning opportunities.
- Recognizing and using the four speech acts that are the basis for committed speaking and listening to open possibilities for my child to learn.
- Observing and designing the underlying features of a successful learning environment in my own home.
- Observing, acknowledging, and empowering my child to acknowledge when he or she demonstrates citizenship competencies that open possibilities for his or her own learning success.
- Understanding what it means to be a parent, caregiver, or sibling of a special needs or at-risk learner.
- Building a family and a family-professional learning community.
- Section I: Dedication/Acknowledgements, Purpose/Objectives, Message to Parents/Caregivers
- Section II: What is Taking Charge®?
- Section III: What are our Self-Narratives?
- Section IV: What is the Learner Self-Narrative?
- Section V: What is a Learning Ecology?
- Section VI: What are Dialogues for Action?
- Section VII: What is a Learning Community?
- Section VIII: Conclusion and Next Steps